Prof. Dr. Peter Schilke
I. Physikalisches Institut
Universität zu Köln
- Phone: +49 221 / 470 1935
- Email: schilke (at) ph1.uni-koeln.de
I am at the University of Cologne since March 2009. My scientific life before consisted of
- 1992 PhD at University of Bonn (done at MPIfR under the supervision of Malcolm Walmsley)
- 1992-1995 Research Fellow in Physics at Caltech (at the Caltech Submillimeter Observatory, inTom Phillips' group)
- 1995-1997 Postdoc at the I. Physikalisches Institut
- 1997-2009 Scientist at Max-Planck-Institut for Radioastronomy (MPIfR) in the Menten Group
where I was project scientist for APEX.
My research is centered on
- Formation of High-Mass Stars
- Formation of Molecular Clouds
- Interstellar medium
particularly on the modeling of observing data. I am Project leader of Project C3 in the SFB 956, involved in projects A4 and A6, was co-I of Herschel/HIFI and have been involved there in the GT KPs HEXOS and CHESS. From 1997 to 2010 I have been member of various ALMA committees, among the Science Software Requirements, ESAC and ASAC and various review committees. Of particular interest are the following instruments/projects
While in the past I have used
which still have a lot of interesting and unreduced data, these days I concentrate on research conducted with ALMA, and plan for CCAT-prime, where we are a partner. The current research projects of the group are found here.
Currently I am the chair of the Bachelor of Science Examination Board in Cologne, and since 2017 Member of the Referee Board of the German Ministry for Education and
Science on Earth-bound astrophysics and astro particle physics as well as the DLR Referee Board Verbundforschung Astronomie und Astrophysik.