How to get to the I. Physikalisches Institut
The entrance to the Physics Building is at the coordinates 50.924878, 6.933585, number 321b on this map. To get there, you will most likely come by train via the station Köln Süd (Cologne South) at 50.927492, 6.937479 or via the subway station Eifelwall (50.924574, 6.936884). Once you are inside the Physics building, you need to go to the entrance of the I. Physics Institute (50.925053, 6.933255). There you find a wall mounted telephone that you can use to call someone in his office.
Going by car (coming from the north/west)
- Take the freeway ("Autobahn") A 61, which goes from Venlo to Cologne, or Freeway A 4, from Aachen to Cologne.
- At the junction 'Kerpen' (Autobahnkreuz Kerpen) take the A 4 to Cologne.
- The next junction is at the freeway-ring around Cologne and is called "Junction West" (Autobahnkreuz Köln-West). Go on heading South following the direction signs towards 'Olpe' ("Ring Süd, Olpe").
- Take the exit Klettenberg and follow the sign "Köln-Zentrum", which will lead you towards the centre of Cologne.
- Take the next possible turn to the left, and thereafter go directly right. You are now on the Berrenrather Str. Where this street ends, you are led left onto a double lane route (Universitätsstrasse). Behind that traffic light where you have to go left, take the right lane and turn directly to the right.
- You will see two white flat buildings. The right one houses the chemistry institutes - the left one the physics institutes. You will also see a barrier; just park next to it. When you then continue by feet, pass the way between the two white buildings - you will see some stairs going to the left building - enter there and you are in the Foyer of the Physics Institutes. The I. Physics Institute is at the next glass door to the left. There you will find the secretary who can lead you.
Using public transportation (tramway)
You can use one of the following line to get to the institute (depending on the direction you are coming from):
- Line No. 9 - from Center / Trade Fare Cologne: Direction: Sülz, Exit: Universität
- Line No. 18 - from Center: Direction: Bonn, Exit: Eifelwall
If you arrive at the main station (HBf - Hauptbahnhof), take Line 18 direction Bonn/Brühl or direction Klettenberg and leave at the station Eifelwall. Cross the campus and enter to the "second" white flat building, which are the physics institutes.
From Bonn it's usually most convenient to take a train from the main station to Köln Süd and walk from there. For those with more Leisure, Tram line 18 also works, get off in Eifelwall (see above).
Coming from the airport Cologne/Bonn
There is only one line from airport to the main station.
A taxi to the institute costs about € 28.00.